poetry (7th through 9th grades)
- FIRST PLACE: “The Deprivation of Rosemary” by Kelly O’Toole (Manasquan, N.J.)
- SECOND PLACE: “The Lady of Shalott” by Rowan Martin (Little Silver, N.J.)
- THIRD PLACE: “Intoxication” by Kayla Sarcomo (Red Bank, N.J.)
poetry (10th through 12 grades)
- FIRST PLACE: “Lily of the Valley” by Gabrielle Jamieson (Bradley Beach, N.J.)
- SECOND PLACE: “[untitled]” by Nandini R. Maharana (Delhi, India)
- THIRD PLACE: “Simmered Voices” by Jean Enelus (Asbury Park, N.J.)
prose (7th through 9th grades)
- FIRST PLACE: “Good Morning” by Claire Cooperman (Bradley Beach, N.J.)
- SECOND PLACE: “Evanora’s Flower” by Sophia R. Skinner (Middletown, N.Y.)
- THIRD PLACE: “Don’t Say Goodbye” by Lila Coen (Madison, Wisconsin)
prose (10th through 12th grades)
- FIRST PLACE: “If Only You Could Trust Him” by Afreen Shanavas (India)
- SECOND PLACE: “the art of us” by Melody Melendez (Los Angeles, California)
- THIRD PLACE: “Mystery of the Elderly Poet” by Maguiber Cifuentes (Asbury Park, N.J.)
Read their winning pieces at bridgeink.org.
Our editors yearn to see something different, to learn from a piece of work, or to discover a new point of view.
We are looking for young, honest voices daring enough to share those stories. How can a poem reveal an observation, emotion, or experience in a new or unique way? How can a story change a reader’s way of thinking? We want stories that open our minds to new possibilities.
- Poetry: 7th through 9th grade
- Poetry: 10th through 12th grade
- Prose: 7th through 9th grade
- Prose: 10th through 12th grade
- Poetry: up to 200 lines
- Prose: up to 3,000 words
- Include your name, age, grade, and location in the email ONLY. In your subject line, please put the category (poetry or prose) and the title of your piece.
- In your submission, please only put the title at the top. (If your piece is untitled, insert [Untitled] instead.) DO NOT put your name on the document.
- Submissions should be in Times New Roman 12-point font and attached as a .docx or .doc. Prose submissions should be double-spaced.
ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS: March 2 – April 2*, 2021 (11:59 p.m. ET)
*DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 9 (11:59 p.m. ET)!
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.