Find your lyrical voice.
Whether you’ve been writing songs for years or you’re new to this creative process, we provide a supportive environment to experiment with storytelling through lyrics. During this class, we:
– Listen to all kinds of songs, paying close attention to the lyrics, melody, and “hook.”
– Analyze song structure and learn how to “map” the verses, the chorus, and the bridge.
– Freewrite and write from prompts, learning how to pull authentic lyrics out of ourselves and onto the page.
– Write words drawn from our emotions and life experiences, revising and polishing our pieces so they have universal and commercial appeal, as well as personal value.
– Write at least one original song as a group!
If time allows, you may bring in original songs for critique. Join us and learn valuable listening skills—and increase your enjoyment of music. Prior musical experience is not necessary.
“The songwriting class with Mimi Cross has been a B-12 shot for my musical life! Together we’re learning the mechanics and craft of songwriting in a supportive, encouraging environment. Whether you’re an experienced musician or someone who’s never played a note, this class will enrich and energize the songwriter within!”
Meet Your Instructor: Mimi Cross
“Supporting others in their creative efforts is something I’ve been doing for many years but it always feels new, because each person who comes into this class is full of unique artistic potential. I’m so inspired by the bravery of the participants, as they press forward, as well as look back, diving deeply into belief systems and blocks, all of us forming a safe, creative community.”
Read our Q&A with Mimi Cross to learn what draws Mimi to teach Songwriting.
Project Write Now offers no refunds or credits once registered, except in the unfortunate case a class or event is cancelled. We reserve the right to change instructors if necessary. We reserve the right to cancel, postpone, or reschedule any class, workshop, or event because of low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908.675.0467 for more information.